Re: BUG #6581: pg_dumpall --no-tablespaces option still sets default tablespace

From: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6581: pg_dumpall --no-tablespaces option still sets default tablespace
Date: 2012-04-11 18:29:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> keith(at)omniti(dot)com writes:
>> Using the --no-tablespaces option for pg_dumpall correctly stops tablespace
>> creation and each individual object from having its tablespace set. But if
>> the original database had its default tablespace changed, this is still
>> added at the beginning of the dump file:
>> ALTER DATABASE dbname SET default_tablespace TO 'old_db_tablespace';
> Well, what the --no-tablespaces option does is suppress actions that are
> related to tablespaces.  However, ALTER DATABASE SET options are just
> dumped out by generic code (likewise for ALTER ROLE SET, function SET
> options, yadda yadda).  I guess we could insert a hack that looked for
> tablespace-related options and didn't print them, but it seems like it
> would be a wart not a feature.
> Also, the purpose of the option is to let you reload the dump into an
> installation that hasn't got the same (or any) tablespaces.  ALTER SET
> commands won't prevent that, they'll at worst result in some NOTICEs
> during the reload.
> In short, I'm not real sure this should be considered a bug.
>                        regards, tom lane

Agreed it's not a serious bug and doesn't stop the restore during a
basic replay with psql. But besides the warning during restore, it
also causes warnings after the reload when you connect to the

postgres=# \c dbname
WARNING:  invalid value for parameter "default_tablespace": "alldata1"
DETAIL:  Tablespace "alldata1" does not exist.
You are now connected to database "dbname" as user "postgres".

Again, easily fixed with running another ALTER after the database is
up and running. But figured I'd report it.

Keith Fiske
Database Administrator
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.
443.325.1357 x251