Re: Heavy inserts load wile querying...

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Ioannis Anagnostopoulos <ioannis(at)anatec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Heavy inserts load wile querying...
Date: 2012-07-24 14:30:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Ioannis Anagnostopoulos <ioannis(at)anatec(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hello,
> The Postres 9.0 database we use gets about 20K inserts per minute. As long
> as you don't query at the same time the database is copying fine. However
> long running queries seems to delay so much the db that the application
> server buffers the incoming data as it cannot insert them fast enough. The
> server has 4 HD. One is used for archive, past static tables, the second is
> the index of the current live tables and the third is the current data. The
> fourth is the OS.
>
> The serve specs are:
> Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3520 @ 2.67GHz
> 4 cores
> 18GB Ram
>
> Do you think that this work load is high that requires an upgrade to
> cluster or RAID 10 to cope with it?

You need to learn more about what exactly is your bottleneck ... memory,
CPU, or I/O. That said, I suspect you'd be way better off with this
hardware if you built a single software RAID 10 array and put everything on
it.

Right now, the backup disk and the OS disk are sitting idle most of the
time. With a RAID10 array, you'd at least double, maybe quadruple your
I/O. And if you added a battery-backed RAID controller, you'd have a
pretty fast system.

Craig