Postgresql-9.0.1 Recovery

From: Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in>
Subject: Postgresql-9.0.1 Recovery
Date: 2011-08-30 10:59:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Everyone,

I have a situation here -

I am trying to restore the production online backup and recover the same.

- I had initially rsynced (excluded pg_log) the data directory and the
tarred and zipped the same
- SCP'd the tar to a different server and untarred and unzipped the same
- I got an error "unable to read <filename> from pg_clog location" (file
size is around 160K)

I have an backup as on Aug 24th and the pg_clog file which pg is unable to
read is as on Aug 5th.

I am aware that the size of the files in pg_clog is supposed to be 256K.

What i understood is that, rsync some how missed out on syncing the files in
"pg_clog", so, i had manually coped the missing pg_clog file from production
and tried recovery.

To my surprise, PG recovery had asked for the corresponding pg_xlog (wal
archive) file as on Aug 5th.

Is there a way to recovery this ?
Do i need to get that particular wal archive which is before online backup
time ?

I do have all the other files till Aug24th.

By this experience what i understand is that Postgresql stores committed and
uncommited transactions in pg_xlog / wal archive files and information (not
the transaction data) about transaction commit status is stored in pg_clog.
Am I correct ?

I am in the process of designing a disaster recovery planner for our
productions systems.

Version - PG-9.0.1
OS - RHEL 5

Please advice !