Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: set autovacuum=off

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Alessandro Gagliardi <alessandro(at)path(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set autovacuum=off
Date: 2012-02-23 21:11:14
Message-ID: CAFqOt8Hw3kzDfPdjWi9Xh2qRWBh7jBiT7yG6di4dMjeONQ0E2Q@mail.gmail.com (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Alessandro Gagliardi
<alessandro(at)path(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> ...Apparently the last four columns don't exist in my database. As for the
>> first four, that is somewhat illuminating....
>>
>> Then you are not running a current version of PostgreSQL so the first step
>> to performance enhancement is to upgrade. (As a general rule - there are
>> occasionally specific cases where performance decreases.)
>>
> We're using 9.0.6. Peter, how do you feel about upgrading? :)
>

9.1's in beta; we're working on writing an upgrade system before
calling it GA, but it works fine. Feel free.

My hunch is still that your issue is lock contention.

> No, not average. I want to be able to do 100-200 INSERTs per second (90% of
> those would go to one of two tables, the other 10% would go to any of a
> couple dozen tables). If 1% of my INSERTs take 100 ms, then the other 99%
> must take no more than 9 ms to complete.
> ...actually, it occurs to me that since I'm now committing batches of 1000,
> a 100ms latency per commit wouldn't be bad at all! I'll have to look into
> that.... (Either that or my batching isn't working like I thought it was.)
>

We have many customers who do much more than this throughput, though
I'm not sure what level of resourcing you're current at. You might
consider experimenting with a larger system if you're having
performance problems.

Peter

In response to

Responses

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Steve CrawfordDate: 2012-02-23 21:37:54
Subject: Re: set autovacuum=off
Previous:From: Jayashankar K BDate: 2012-02-23 21:09:10
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Disable-spinlocks while compiling postgres 9.1 for ARM Cortex A8

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group