Re: Privileges for INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SCHEMATA (was Re: Small clarification in "34.41. schemata")

From: Casey Allen Shobe <casey(at)shobe(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Privileges for INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SCHEMATA (was Re: Small clarification in "34.41. schemata")
Date: 2013-01-14 17:49:32
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> However, it seems to me that this behavior is actually wrong for our
> purposes, as it represents a too-literal reading of the spec.  The SQL
> standard has no concept of privileges on schemas, only ownership.
> We do have privileges on schemas, so it seems to me that the consistent
> thing would be for this view to show any schema that you either own or
> have some privilege on.

IMHO, schemata should follow the standard as it does today.  Other
platforms have privileges on schemas as well, and this sort of thing seems
to fall into the same bucket as other platform compatibilities outside the
scope of what the standard thinks about, which means you use pg_catalog to
access that information rather than information_schema, which should be
expected to work consistently on all platforms that implement it.

--
Casey Allen Shobe
casey(at)shobe(dot)info