Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bugfix: --echo-hidden is not supported by \sf statements
Date: 2013-01-14 17:13:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> this is very simple patch -  it enables hidden_queries  for commands
>> \sf and \ef to be consistent with other describing commands.
>
> So far as I can tell, get_create_function_cmd (and lookup_function_oid
> too) were intentionally designed to not show their queries, and for that
> matter they go out of their way to produce terse error output if they
> fail.  I'm not sure why we should revisit that choice.  In any case
> it seems silly to change one and not the other.

Motivation for this patch is consistency with other backslash
statements. Some people uses --echo-hidden option like "tutorial" or
"navigation" over system tables or builtin functionality.  With this
patch these people should be navigated to function pg_get_functiondef.
There are no other motivation - jut it should to help to users that
has no necessary knowledges look to psql source code.

I am not sure about --echo-hidden option - if it is limited just to
system tables or  complete functionality. Probably both designs are
valid. So first we should to decide if this behave is bug or not. I am
co-author \sf and I didn't calculate with  --echo-hidden options. Now
I am inclined so it is bug. This bug is not significant - it is just
one detail - but for some who will work with psql this can be pleasant
feature if psql will be consistent in all.

After decision I can recheck this patch and enhance it for all statements.

Regards

Pavel