Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL, RAISE and error context
Date: 2015-07-25 22:42:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I am sending a next variant of filtering context patch.

postgres=# do $$ begin raise notice 'kuku'; end $$;
NOTICE: kuku
DO
Time: 2.441 ms
postgres=# do $$ begin raise exception 'kuku'; end $$;
ERROR: kuku
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 1 at RAISE
Time: 0.648 ms
postgres=# \set SHOW_CONTEXT always
postgres=# do $$ begin raise notice 'kuku'; end $$;
NOTICE: kuku
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 1 at RAISE
DO
Time: 0.702 ms

It is a variant, when I try to filter CONTEXT in libpq. There is little bit
less granularity on libpq side than server side, but still it is enough -
always, error, none.

This patch is without documentation, but basic regress tests works.

Regards

Pavel

>> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 2:53 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
>> wrote:

>> > I still feel this approach is misguided, and we should be tweaking psql
>> > and/or libpq instead. I don't feel strongly though, and if some other
>> > committer wants to pick this up in its current form, I won't object. So
>> this
>> > patch has reached an impasse, and if no-one else wants to pick this up,
>> I'm
>> > going to mark this as "Returned with Feedback" and move on.
>>
>> That's unfortunate. Maybe I'm missing something:
>>
>> What does a client side implementation offer that a server side
>> implementation does not offer?
>>

> I have not any problem to change the filtering to client side. Primary
> question is fix of PLpgSQL RAISE statement issue - The context field
> filtering is a necessary follow-up and trivial in both cases.
>
> In this case, it is acceptable for all?
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel
>

>> merlin

Attachment Content-Type Size
libpq-context-filter.patch text/x-patch 44.6 KB