Re: enhanced error fields

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2013-01-13 06:13:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello

2012/12/29 Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>:
> * Pavel Stehule (pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> it is a problem of this patch or not consistent constraints implementation ?
>
> Not sure, but I don't think it matters.  You can blame the constraint
> implementation, but that doesn't change my feelings about what we need
> before we can accept a patch like this.  Providing something which works
> only part of the time and then doesn't work for very unclear reasons
> isn't a good idea.  Perhaps we need to fix the constraint implementation
> and perhaps we need to fix the error information being returned, or most
> likely we have to fix both, it doesn't change that we need to do
> something more than just ignore this problem.

so we have to solve this issue first. Please, can you do resume, what
is and where is current constraint implementation raise
strange/unexpected messages?

one question

when we will fix constraints, maybe we can use some infrastructure for
enhanced error fields. What about partial commit now -  just necessary
infrastructure without modification of other code - I am thinking so
there is agreement on new fields: column_name, table_name,
schema_name, constraint_name and constraint_schema?

Regards

Pavel