Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings

From: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings
Date: 2012-01-04 20:27:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 13:13, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 01/04/2012 12:56 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> I looked at that last night but it appeared that SvOK would be perfectly
>> happy.  (Didn't actually try it, though, I was just eyeballing the flags
>> in gdb.)

> I tested it and you're right, it doesn't help. I don't see what else we can
> do about it. There doesn't appear to be any test for an SV in the API.

I think about the best we can do is something along the lines of:

sv2cstr()
{
if (Perl_vverify(sv))
return utf_u2e(SvPV(sv));
}

I dont the the utf_u2e is strictly needed (other than that it strdups)
as I don't think versions can have utf8 chars, or at least that $^V
will not have utf8 chars (and even if it did it would only cause
problems if they had codepoints in >128 <255).

We would still have issues with typeglobs...