Re: Deprecating RULES

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Deprecating RULES
Date: 2012-10-11 22:32:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Anyway, lets start with a discussion of what rules give us that SQL
> standard features do not?

The somewhat broader question that this elicits is "How would we go
about deprecating a feature that seems to be troublesome?" I think
Josh Berkus describes this downthread in a reasonable way.

There are pretty cool things you can do with rules, but they don't
seem to scale very successfully to important/massive usage. I tried
them out several times, and it was pretty cool that they worked as
well as they did, but it sure didn't go to production. I'd be
saddened if rules went away because they seemed pretty cool, but it
wouldn't be "practical" disappointment.