Re: BUG #6266: Create temp tables on Slave

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6266: Create temp tables on Slave
Date: 2011-10-25 14:47:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Well, it is imaginable for there to be some side mechanism to enable use of
temporary tables on a WAL-based replica, after all, we have leapt through
enough hoops to get read transactions working.

That being said...

A) a solution for how to do this has not yet emerged, so it seems not too
likely that such a feature will enter 9.2, let alone earlier versions. It's
not yet really scheduled for 9.2, so it would be wiser to assume 9.3 or
later, ergo don't make any plans earlier than 2013...

B) yes, indeed, "logical" replication systems like Slony, Londiste, and
Bucardo are the alternative at present.

I have been hearing comments to the effect of these systems being passé -
when WAL replication does not support fairly important cases such as
allowing reports to use temporary tables, that seems rather premature.