Re: Possible Bug in 9.2beta3

From: Adam Mackler <adammackler(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible Bug in 9.2beta3
Date: 2012-08-15 19:14:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Are you asking me or the other experts? I had not even heard of a
common table expression a few weeks ago, so I doubt I'm qualified to
opine what ought to be possible; I just know what I'm trying to do.
Basically I've got a recursive CTE with rows, some of which have
information that I want to be split between two rows in a result
table. I couldn't see a way to do that except to "copy" the working
table of the outer recursive CTE to an intermediary inner CTE, so that
then I could refer to that intermediary CTE twice, once for each row
that I want to result from one row in the outer recursive CTE. If
that makes sense.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn of a better way to do what I
want, but to answer your question: on the one hand yes, I was
obviously trying to "get around" a limitation that was expressed to me
in a specific error message about only referring to a recursive CTE
working-table variable in one location. On the other hand, I don't
see why I shouldn't be able to look at that working table more than
once on each iteration.

I imagine the "optimal" answer requires more knowledge of what's going
on under the covers than I have, as well as familiarity with the SQL
standard and more experience & expertise than I have in how to solve
problems using SQL. As far as facility with SQL, I'm still pretty
much stumbling in the dark and learning by trial-and-error and reading
whatever I can find that seems on point, so, again, my current idea of
what ought to be possible is based on a rather uninformed foundation.

Adam Mackler

--
Adam Mackler