Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK

From: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Supporting SQL/MED DATALINK
Date: 2012-01-09 12:26:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9 January 2012 12:36, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> On 01/09/12 3:07 AM, Alban Hertroys wrote:
>>>
>>> For the record, it looks like MS SQL Server has some equivalent feature :
>>
>> And Oracle has BFILE.
>
> aren't these things functionally similar to PG's LO (large object) ?

Oracle has BLOBs and CLOBs as well. IIRC, BFILEs reference a file on
the file-system, while [BC]LOBs are stored inside the database in some
way.

Admittedly, the last time I worked with an Oracle database is 10 years
ago. Things may have changed, or my memory of them may have ;)

Cut the trees and you'll find there is no forest.