Slow W7 64 ODBC connection

From: "Achim Jansen, Promax VPM" <info(at)promax-vpm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slow W7 64 ODBC connection
Date: 2012-08-02 10:49:14
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

a client of mine is complaining about a slow ODBC driver connection on
his Windows 7 64 bit PC. He is using an MS Access 2002 Database connected
via a Postgres ODBC driver version 9.00.03.00 to a PostgreSQL database
server version 7.4.19 on a web server. When connecting from a W7 32 bit
everything works fine and fast.

I searched the faq's and documentation but couldn't find an answer.
Therefore I am hoping that someone on this list could help.

I used the following instruction to set up the driver on the client´s
machine:

- Press the Windows *Start* button and select *Run*
or press the *Windows logo key + R on* your keyboard
- In the *Run* window type *%SystemRoot%\syswow64\odbcad32.exe*
- Press Enter and set up using the *ODBC Data Source Administrator*

I also came across these instructions and would like to ask whether it's
worth a try:

- Download the Postgresql 8.4 ODBC driver
here<http://penelope3.helpserve.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/471/>
- Unzip the file on to your Desktop (double-click the file)
- Double-click the Psqlodbc file
- Accept the License and click Next to install the driver
- When the installation is complete, click the Upgrade.bat file - and
follow the onscreen instructions.
- When the upgrade is complete, go to the search bar in your Start Menu.
- Type in “ C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\ ”
- Open the folder that shows up in this list.
- Search through this folder until you find the “odbcad32.exe” file.
- Open it. You will be brought to the ODBC Data Source Administrator
screen. etc.

Or is the problem not related to the way the driver is intalled? Also, is
there a 64 bit ODBC driver? I couldn't find anything so far.

Sorry about so many questions and thank you in advance for your help,

best regards,

Achim Jansen

info(at)promax-vpm(dot)com
www.promax-vpm.com