Re: PATCH: optimized DROP of multiple tables within a transaction

From: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: optimized DROP of multiple tables within a transaction
Date: 2013-01-07 09:07:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi Tomas,

I reviewed v6 patch, and found that several places need fix.
Sorry for extra nitpickings.

* I found another extra space after asterisk.

+	RelFileNode * nodes;

* Curly bracket which starts code block should be at the head of next line.

+				/* extend the array if needed (double the size) */
+				if (maxrels <= nrels) {

* There are several trailing tabs in src/backend/catalog/storage.c.

* naming of DROP_RELATIONS_BSEARCH_LIMIT (or off-by-one bug?)
IIUC bsearch is used when # of relations to be dropped is *more* than
the value of DROP_RELATIONS_BSEARCH_LIMIT (10).  IMO this behavior is
not what the macro name implies; I thought that bsearch is used for 10
relations.  Besides, the word "LIMIT" is used as *upper limit* in
other macros.  How about MIN_DROP_REL[ATION]S_BSEARCH or
DROP_REL[ATION]S_LINEAR_SEARCH_LIMIT?
# using RELS instead of RELATIONS would be better to shorten the name

* +1 for Alvaro's suggestion about avoiding palloc traffic by starting
with 8 elements or so.

Regards,
--
Shigeru HANADA