Re: sortsupport for text

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sortsupport for text
Date: 2012-10-08 16:26:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 8 October 2012 16:30, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I don't have any plans to work on this further.  I think all of the
> criticism that has been leveled at this patch is 100% bogus, and I
> greatly dislike the changes that have been proposed.  That may not be
> fair, but it's how I feel, and in light of that feeling it does not
> make sense for me to pursue this.  Sorry.

If it was the case that you were only 50% of the way to getting
something committable, I guess I'd understand; this is, after all, a
volunteer effort, and you are of course free to pursue or not pursue
whatever you like. It's more like 95% though, so I have a hard time
understanding this attitude.

The only criticism that I imagine that you could be referring to is my
criticism (which was seconded by Tom) concerning the approach to
sizing a buffer that is used as state between successive calls to the
sortsupport routine. This was a fairly trivial point even within the
context of this patch. It was regrettable that it got so out of hand,
but that certainly wasn't my intention.

I must say that I find this disheartening as a reviewer, particularly
since it comes from someone who reviews a lot of patches (including
most of my own), and has often complained about the difficulties that
reviewers face. Is it really so hard for you to accept a criticism
from me? I didn't expect you to fully accept my criticism; I only
expected you to take it into consideration, and possibly let it go for
the sake of progress.

For what it's worth, I have high regard for your work generally. In
all sincerity, this appears to me to be a slight, and I find it
upsetting, both on a personal level, and because it creates a concern
about being able to work with you in the future, which is certainly
something that I've benefited from in the past, and hope to continue
to benefit from.

Peter Geoghegan