Re: Latch implementation that wakes on postmaster death on both win32 and Unix

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Latch implementation that wakes on postmaster death on both win32 and Unix
Date: 2011-07-07 17:41:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I now think that we shouldn't change the return value format from the
most recent revisions of the patch (i.e. returning a bitfield). We
should leave it as-is, while documenting that it's possible, although
extremely unlikely, for it to incorrectly report Postmaster death, and
that clients therefore have a onus to check that themselves using
PostmasterIsAlive(). We already provide fairly weak guarantees as to
the validity of that return value ("Note that if multiple wake-up
conditions are true, there is no guarantee that we return all of them
in one call, but we will return at least one"). Making them a bit
weaker still seems acceptable.

In addition, we'd change the implementation of PostmasterIsAlive() to
/just/ perform the read() test as already described.

I'm not concerned about the possibility of spurious extra cycles of
auxiliary process event loops - should I be?