Re: wCTE cannot be used to update parent inheritance table

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wCTE cannot be used to update parent inheritance table
Date: 2012-01-29 20:49:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 29 January 2012 20:39, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> This is the kind of thing that could go unnoticed for a long time,
>> simply because it is not highlighted any more prominently than a
>> routine error message like an integrity constraint violation. I
>> continue to maintain that we should have a new severity level for this
>> sort of thing.
>
> Huh?  I don't follow you at all Peter.

I mean that we should change code like this:

elog(ERROR, "could not find plan for CTE \"%s\"", rte->ctename)

to this:

elog(INTERNAL_ERROR, "could not find plan for CTE \"%s\"", rte->ctename)

(which would necessitate creating a new severity level, INTERNAL_ERROR).

So that DBAs could find these kinds of problems systematically. This
is an error message that we expect no one to see.