Re: Parallel query execution

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel query execution
Date: 2013-01-15 22:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 15 January 2013 22:14, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I believe it is time to start adding parallel execution to the backend.
> We already have some parallelism in the backend:
> effective_io_concurrency and helper processes.  I think it is time we
> start to consider additional options.

A few months back, I remarked [1] that speeding up sorting using
pipelining and asynchronous I/O was probably parallelism low-hanging
fruit. That hasn't changed, though I personally still don't have the
bandwidth to look into it in a serious way.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEYLb_VeZpKDX54VEx3X30oy_UOTh89XoejJW6aucjjiUjskXw@mail.gmail.com

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/