clustering with shared storage

From: Gary Webster <webster(at)lexmark(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: clustering with shared storage
Date: 2012-03-20 19:26:18
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello.

Sorry if this is redundant, but I can't find any 'cookbook' for getting
this setup.

The best I've found is here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/images/5/58/06.5_-_Devrim_Gunduz_-_PostgreSQLClusteringWithRedHatClusterSuite--LT.pdf
but, it doesn't go into setup details.

I have a few questions/issues, but figure I will attack it piecemeal, in
chronological order.

RHCS is handling the fencing.
I have installed postgres on the local drive of the primary, with pgdata on
the shared drive.
I am generally using the EnterpriseDB install package for v9.1.3 .

So, first, just how to install postgres on the secondary?

1)  If I leave it as secondary (non-active), it can't see the shared drive.
 Is this correct/OK ?
If so, it will create its own pgdata locally, which is later ignored?

or

2)  Do I make it primary, then point its pgdata to the already existing
data during install ?!?

Thanks.

pgsql-admin by date