Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit

From: Gary Webster <webster(at)lexmark(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit
Date: 2012-07-24 15:58:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello.
Thanks for the response.

There are several 'idle in transaction' on this server/app, but to a
different db/schema.
The "repository" (JCR) schema has only a few 'idle', none 'in transaction' .

By "routine maintenance", do you mean autovacuum, or something else?
Autovacuum does appear to usually get 'auto-canceled' by a lock. However,
even when it runs successfully, it doesn't seem to help with this ws_bundle
Toast table size.
I am rather looking for a root cause here. Surely this table is not
supposed to grow so much (100s of GB). It is even bigger than the data
store!

I agree that this may not be an 'error' in Postgres, but somehow it is not
playing well with Jackrabbit clustering.