Hex to char

From: "Andrew Bartley" <abartley(at)evolvosystems(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hex to char
Date: 2004-07-22 03:23:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I wish to do something like this

select chr(x'22')
result "

But using a column from a table as the argument

eg

create table test
(
hex_value char(2)
)

insert into test values ('22')

select chr(hex_value) from test; ( I understand this won't work, but I need
something like it )

I have looked at all of the string functions but can't find a solution short
of writing my own function.

We are on 7.2.1

Thanks

Andrew