Re: pageinspect: Hash index support

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pageinspect: Hash index support
Date: 2017-02-08 14:25:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> 1) Check if an overflow page is a new page. If so, read a bitmap page
>> to confirm if a bit corresponding to this overflow page is clear or
>> not. For this, I would first add Assert statement to ensure that the
>> bit is clear and if it is, then set the statusbit as false indicating
>> that the page is free.
>>
>> 2) In case if an overflow page is not new, first verify if it is
>> really an overflow page and if so, check if the bit corresponding to
>> it in the bitmap page is SET. If so, set the statusbit as true; If
>> not, we would see an assertion failure happening.
>
> I think this is complicated and not what anybody wants. I think you
> should do exactly what I said above: return true if the bit is set in
> the bitmap, and false if it isn't. Full stop. Don't read or do
> anything with the underlying page. Only read the bitmap page.

Okay, As per the inputs from you, I have modified hash_bitmap_info()
and have tried to keep the things simple. Attached is the patch that
has this changes. Please have a look and let me know if you feel it is
not yet in the right shape. Thanks.

Attachment Content-Type Size
simplify_hash_bitmap_info_pageinspect.patch application/x-download 7.2 KB