Re: Measuring replication lag time

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
To: Greg Williamson <gwilliamson39(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "List, Postgres" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Measuring replication lag time
Date: 2012-02-23 06:21:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Greg Williamson
<gwilliamson39(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> Stuart Bishop shaped the aether to ask:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I need to measure how far in the past a hot standby is, async
>> streaming replication.
>
> Not sure if this will help, but we are using repmgr <https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/repmgr>; it sets up a monitoring schema which we poll )see the "Monitoring and Testing" section ... study their source code some and see how they come up with lag times.

Might help indeed. My existing solution already has a small daemon (I
can't always query the Slony-I sl_status view fast enough for load
balancing web requests, so I maintain a cache). But repmgr seems to
cover other work I need to do to keep ops happy so something for me to
look closer at.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/