Re: [POC] FETCH limited by bytes.

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Matt Kelly <mkellycs(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [POC] FETCH limited by bytes.
Date: 2016-01-28 04:19:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Looks pretty good. You seem to have added a blank line at the end of
> postgres_fdw.c, which should be stripped back out.

Done.

> > I'm not too keen on having *no* new regression tests, but defer to your
> > judgement.
>
> So... I'm not *opposed* to regression tests. I just don't see a
> reasonable way to write one. If you've got an idea, I'm all ears.

The possible tests might be:
- creating a server/table with fetch_size set
- altering an existing server/table to have fetch_size set
- verifying that the value exists in pg_foreign_server.srvoptions and
pg_foreign_table.ftoptions.
- attempting to set fetch_size to a non-integer value

None of which are very interesting, and none of which actually test what
fetch_size was actually used.

But I'm happy to add any of those that seem worthwhile.

> > Still not sure what you mean by remote execution options. But it might be
> > simpler now that the patch is closer to your expectations.
>
> I'm talking about the documentation portion of the patch, which
> regrettably seems to have disappeared between v2 and v3.

Ah, didn't realize you were speaking about the documentation, and since
that section was new, I wasn't familiar with the name. Moved.

...and not sure why the doc change didn't make it into the last patch, but
it's in this one.

I also moved the paragraph starting "When using the extensions option, *it
is the user's responsibility* that..." such that it is in the same
varlistentry as "extensions", though maybe that change should be delegated
to the patch that created the extensions option.

Enjoy.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4.Make-fetch_size-settable-per-server-and-table.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB