Re: [noob] How to optimize this double pivot query?

From: Robert Buck <buck(dot)robert(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [noob] How to optimize this double pivot query?
Date: 2012-10-03 16:31:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

Samuel,

You asked:

Some questions before I provide crosstab samples - your example query has a
hardcoded set of keys that it is looking for, but maybe that was
code-generated. There are multiple forms of the crosstab function, some of
which rely on a constant column count and others which can generate the set
of columns based on another query. There are complications in that second
form relating to race conditions with regard to new keys showing up between
the query for the columns and the query for the data, so it is important to
understand that and either structure queries accordingly or make sure you
execute in a transaction with sufficient transaction isolation to prevent
the race condition from appearing.

The query was hand written from examples I found on the web. The list here
was hand written too. This will run in Ruby, so I can template as much as
needed on that side. I can also run this in a defined transaction boundary
rather than using auto-commit. Right now I am thumbing through your email
and trying it out.

Bob

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Robert Buck <buck(dot)robert(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> [...]
>>> the race condition from appearing.
>>>
>>> For crosstab queries, you generally want a query that returns results in
>>> the following form:
>>>
>>> row_name | key | value
>>>
>>> where row_name would be a date or some other label that all values that
>>> should share a row will have in common. Key is the field that defines a
>>> column in the final row. And value is the value to go in that column. If
>>> it is the case that you always want ALL keys, then you can simply do a left
>>> join to ensure that you get a row for every key, regardless of whether
>>> there is an actual value. You can use COALESCE to turn nulls resulting
>>> from left joins that don't match into '0' values. If there is the
>>> potential for multiple rows with the same key and row_name, you need to use
>>> an aggregate function (like max or avg) to compress all rows into a single
>>> row.
>>>
>>> The crosstab(text sql) form of the function requires that it gets a
>>> value for every possible column in every single row. It makes some naive
>>> assumptions about the presence of a value for every spot in the matrix. It
>>> also cannot include extra columns as plain payload in the final cross tab
>>> result. For greater flexibility, you really want to use the crosstab(text
>>> sql, text sql) form of the function. This allows you to specify the set of
>>> columns that should appear via the 2nd query. When processing the results,
>>> it makes fewer naive assumptions about the presence of data for every
>>> column, so it correctly handles missing data (and, I assume, data for
>>> columns that didn't appear in the 2nd query). This eliminates the need for
>>> left joins to get empty rows, though you do still need to use aggregates to
>>> combine multiple rows into one row.
>>>
>>> Your 2nd query would be a query that simply returns the distinct set of
>>> key names from both of your key/value tables. You want them in a
>>> consistent and repeatable order, so order by id_name:
>>>
>>> select id_name from (
>>> select distinct m.id_name from metadata_key m
>>> union
>>> select distinct d.id_name from metric_def d
>>> ) q order by id_name
>>>
>>> The nested union query is required based on what I can gleam of your
>>> schema from your examples, since you are getting keys from multiple tables
>>> and we need them all in a single column in a consistent order.
>>>
>>> Now you just need a query that returns
>>>
>>> row_name | extra_col1 | extra_col2 | key | max(value)
>>>
>>> extra_col1 and extra_col2 are going to be the begin_time and end_time
>>> from your test table, but you are going to have to do the union thing again
>>> in order to extract results from multiple tables into a single column, and
>>> you'll have to do the subquery thing in order to get the rows in consistent
>>> order again:
>>>
>>> select row_name, begin_time, end_time, category, value from
>>> (
>>> select t.id_name as row_name, max(t.begin_time) as begin_time,
>>> m.id_name as category, max(v.value_end) as value
>>> from test t, metadata_key m, test_variables v
>>> where v.test_id = t.id and m.id = v.metadata_key_id group by 1, 4
>>>
>>> union all -- use 'union all' to prevent the database from trying to
>>> de-dupe rows
>>>
>>> select t.id_name as row_name, max(t.begin_time) as begin_time,
>>> max(t.end_time) as end_time,
>>> d.id_name as category, max(r.value_end) as value