Re: PQping command line tool

From: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQping command line tool
Date: 2012-10-03 15:40:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01:36PM -0400, Phil Sorber wrote:
>> I was wondering recently if there was any command line tool that
>> utilized PQping() or PQpingParams(). I searched the code and couldn't
>> find anything and was wondering if there was any interest to have
>> something like this included? I wrote something for my purposes of
>> performing a health check that also supports nagios style status
>> output. It's probably convenient for scripting purposes as well. It's
>> not currently ready for submission to a commitfest, but if there was
>> an interest I would clean it up so that it would be.
>
> I don't see any tool using PQping except pg_ctl. Perhaps we should
> modify "pg_ctl status" to use PQping. Right now is only checks the
> postmaster.pid file, and checks to see that the pid is a running
> postmaster. What it currently doesn't do is to check if the server is
> accepting connections with PQping(), like we do for "pg_ctl -w start".
>
> Comments?

I was thinking that maybe this should be a new feature in an existing
tool, however I don't think pg_ctl would satisfy my use case as it's
normally bundled with the server. This would need to be something that
I could install just a client package. It's not a deal breaker, but it
makes things more complex.

How about adding it as an option to psql? That's not to say that I
think we shouldn't also add it to 'pg_ctl status'.