'SERIAL' in pgsql

From: Archana K N <archanakknn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 'SERIAL' in pgsql
Date: 2012-07-16 09:23:55
Lists: pgsql-php

Hello,

I have a database whose primary key is 'slno' and which is an auto
increment field.I inserted some values to database say upto
" slno - 5". Then I deleted the row with 'slno' 3 . Now I want the to shift
all the rows upward ie 4th row should be third and its 'slno' should also
be 3. I heard that this is not possible.Is there a way to do this other
than to move all rows to another database except the slno.

--
regards