Re: Setting up streaming replication w/ a big ole database

From: Robert Burgholzer <rburghol(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: Wells Oliver <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting up streaming replication w/ a big ole database
Date: 2012-04-10 18:56:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've definitely done this, albeit with a 6-7 GB database. I had
accomplished previous backups with pg_dump commands, that invariably
had to be restarted and took DAYS to complete. The rsync method
achieved the backup within hours the first time, and you can do
subsequent backups in minutes (in case something happens to the normal
xlog copying - which for me has happened from time to time).

Fear is the mind killer - let it rip dude!

r.b.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Wells Oliver <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I admit to being scared as crap of rsync'ing a live database to another
> server. Like chills are running down my spine even typing it. Is this an
> approved, safe thing?
>

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Wells Oliver <wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey all, I have a question about streaming replication available in PG
>> > 9+
>> >
>> > The general configuration I see is along the lines of this:
>> >

>> > http://brandonkonkle.com/blog/2010/oct/20/postgres-9-streaming-replication-and-django-balanc/
>> >
>> > Where you do the file system backup and restore. However, our current
>> > server
>> > I wish to make master has a 75GB database. I can't take the server down,
>> > and
>> > I can't run rsync against the live DB.
>>
>> You don't need to take the master down.  But you do need to run rsync.
>>  Note that rsync has a --bwlimit flag to reduce its impact on the
>> master.
>

> --
> Wells Oliver
> wellsoliver(at)gmail(dot)com

Robert W. Burgholzer
http://www.findingfreestyle.com/
On Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Finding-Freestyle/151918511505970
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/findfreestyle
What's a tweeted swim set? A Sweet? No, a #swaiku!  Get them by
following http://twitter.com/findfreestyle