Real time monitoring of pg_dump progress through web apps

From: Anup Greens <agreens123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Real time monitoring of pg_dump progress through web apps
Date: 2012-02-14 13:18:42
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello All,

Our web app is using postgres as DB. We want to give our clients the
options of backing up his data. Since the data is couple of GBs it takes
couple of minutes to execute pg_dump on DB after the user has selected
backup option from his/her browser.
We want to show some sort of progress bar for the backup operation. So my
questions are : Is there a way of asking pg_dump to report back the time it
estimates to complete the backup operation.  Or even before executing
pg_dump is there a way of knowing how much time pg_dump will take to dump a
the database?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rest fine
aGreens.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Bernhard SchraderDate: 2012-02-14 13:22:32