Re: [snafu] isolation-level change in 2.4.2

From: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)dndg(dot)it>, psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [snafu] isolation-level change in 2.4.2
Date: 2011-12-14 23:42:28
Lists: psycopg

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Daniele Varrazzo
<daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Marko, I've noted just now the "snafu" in the title: do you have
> anything to complain about? Please make an explicit list of your
> points because - but it may be just me not understanding the
> subtleties of the English language - I feel your tone in this thread a
> little bit on the unpleasant side.

Well, I'm bit frustrated but I can't complain much - thats the reason
for "snafu" -
two relatively innocent problems on their own (SN) created mess when
put together (AFU).

If you really want me to complain then I would complain about non-bugfix changes
in pscyopg micro releases. Looking at the changes, the 2.4.[23]
should have bumped
the minor version at least. Basically, no psycopg micro version can
be considered
as "safe upgrade".

OTOH, if the isolation-level shuffle would have been in 2.5, instead 2.4.2,
it would not helped much, because that part of code did not have
dedicated tests,
and was considered stable for years. So the mess would have happened anyway.
So I cannot complain too much.

--
marko