Re: Unreproducible bug in snapshot import code

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unreproducible bug in snapshot import code
Date: 2011-10-28 15:07:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> > > before
> > >
> > > I could reproduce it when I typed TAB just after typing "set" in "set
> > > transaction snapshot".
> > > As Tom and Alvaro pointed out, the tab-completion issues a query and
> which
> > > prevents the "set transaction snapshot" command.
> > >

> > Great! That settles it then. Reproducible, but not a bug.
>
> Yes, it is only tabs that query the database for completion that cause
> this.  Should this be documented somehow?  (No idea how.)

If we have a doc section on psql's tab-completion, I think this needs to go
there. A note like:

"Trying to tab-complete on psql may send queries to the server, and
depending on the transaction state, execution of these queries may lead to
non-default/unexpected behaviour by the queries executed after
tab-completion. For example, ..."

Regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh