custom_variable_classes in 9.1

From: Marcin Krawczyk <jankes(dot)mk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: custom_variable_classes in 9.1
Date: 2012-02-29 09:29:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi list,

I'm using some global variables through custom_variable_classes facility.
I've recently switched from 8.1 to 9.1
and somewhere along the line the behavior of custom_variable_classes has
changed - if the variable has not been set
for a given session invoking it (SELECT current_setting('name.variable'))
throws and error whereas it used to return 'unset' value.
Is there a way to control this behavior or maybe call it in a different way
without an error ?

If not I'll have to think of setting this at each session start, which in
turn has me asking: is there a way to call an SQL script
at each user login ?

pozdrowienia
mk