Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created

From: Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Klemme <shortcutter(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created
Date: 2012-05-13 08:12:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

2012/5/11 Robert Klemme <shortcutter(at)googlemail(dot)com>

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Vidhya Bondre <meetvbondre(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > Is there any max limit set on sequences that can be created on the
> database
> > ? Also would like to know if we create millions of sequences in a single
> db
> > what is the downside of it.

The sequences AFAIK are accounted as relations. Large list of relations may
slowdown different system utilities like vacuuming (or may not, depends on
queries and indexes on pg_class).

> On the contrary: what would be the /advantage/ of being able to create
> millions of sequences? What's the use case?

We are using sequences as statistics counters - they produce almost no
performance impact and we can tolerate it's non-transactional nature. I can
imaging someone who wants to have a sequence per user or other relation
row.

--
Best regards,
Vitalii Tymchyshyn