SSD selection

From: Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SSD selection
Date: 2012-05-15 15:21:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello, all.

We've reached to the point when we would like to try SSDs. We've got a
central DB currently 414 GB in size and increasing. Working set does not
fit into our 96GB RAM server anymore.
So, the main question is what to take. Here what we've got:
1) Intel 320. Good, but slower then current generation sandforce drives
2) Intel 330. Looks like cheap 520 without capacitor
3) Intel 520. faster then 320 No capacitor.
4) OCZ Vertex 3 Pro - No available. Even on OCZ site
5) OCZ Deneva - can't find in my country :)
We are using Areca controller with BBU. So as for me, question is: Can 520
series be set up to handle fsyncs correctly? We've got the Areca to handle
buffering.
--
Best regards,
Vitalii Tymchyshyn