Re: Documentation: references to old versions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation: references to old versions
Date: 2013-02-12 09:40:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>>
>> While reading some documentation, I noticed that we have references to
>> past releases. For example,
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/xfunc-c.html mentions "A
>> magic block is required as of PostgreSQL 8.2". Sure, this is true even
>> as of 9.2 or even 9.3. There are a few more such references that I
>> could spot with a simple grep in the doc/src/sgml directory. I wonder
>> if this is worth fixing. I don't know sgml enough, but if it supports
>> some sort of a meta-tag, then it might help to replace specific
>> version references with something like <CURRENT_MAJOR_RELEASE> so that
>> the current major version gets substituted when docs for that release
>> are built.
>

> The phrasing "as of 8.2" basically means "from 8.2 onwards". Changing the
> version there would make the text incorrect.

In theory we could remove that reference completely since any versions
where it does not apply are out of support since years ago at this
point. But I don't see a point in doing that just for the sake of
removing - but if a section is reworded in general that contains such
references, it could be dropped.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/