Re: LDAP referrals

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: LDAP referrals
Date: 2013-06-27 07:39:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 3:47 AM, James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is there a way to disable chasing LDAP referrals in PostgreSQL?

There is not, at this point. It would probably be fairly trivial to add a
pg_hba parameter to turn it off (since it's, AFAIK, just a call to
ldap_set_option), but it's not possible to do with current versions of
PostgreSQL.

<snip>

You could try injecting a simple ldap_set_opttion() that turns off
LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS in InitializeLdapConnection() in auth.c, to see if that
works. If it solves the problem, it might be worth turning it into an
actual option.

If I run psql like so:

> psql -U d248265 -h 127.0.0.1 dccn
>
> then it hangs. From a packet capture I've determined that in this time it
> is trying to resolve the referral, which is broken and times out.

As you say, a quick fix would of course be to fix your server not to send
broken referrals ;)

But I can see how it could perhaps still be useful to be able to block
referrals. I think the reason it's not in there already is mainly that it
doesn't make much sense for the actual login bind - but it does make more
sense for the search step that happens before the bind.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/