Re: 8.2.23 packages?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.23 packages?
Date: 2012-04-20 12:48:13
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 20:12, Christoph Berg <cb(at)df7cb(dot)de> wrote:
> Re: Magnus Hagander 2012-04-16 <CABUevEzY6K_w8YjPgLAUjdqxYPCBZJWGhBBtRS6R742zFCS_dw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
>> I wasn't aware backports.debian.org could be used for ubuntu :-) My
>> mistake in that case...
>
> No it can't, but there are backport repositories on ubuntu.com.

Ah, right.

>> Also - neither one of those two is good enough of course, since
>> PostgreSQL 8.3 is still supported...
>
> Right. (Though from a Debian perspective, having >= 8.4 supported
> solves kind of 90% of the problem.)

Yes - that's one of the reasons why I think we need something that
works from a *postgresql* perspective rather than a debian or ubuntu
one.

>> > I'll try to post some of my thoughts on the whole process here.
>>
>> Maybe set up a wiki page? Or if there is want/need, I can set up a
>> project at redmine.postgresql.org (i know the RPM builders have their
>> own trac instance with tickets and such things, though not as much
>> documentation as one would want there either).
>
> I've put a rough TODO list at
> http://wiki.debian.org/pkg-postgresql/PgaptTodo

Just a few quick notes:
I assume bzr is required in order to work well with the debian
buildbots and such? If not, why use a different scm than all other
postgres projects? (If that is the reason, then it's a good one, of
course)

>> Well, if we move the responsibility for maintaining it to
>> postgresql.org instead of backports.org (ignore the domain names at
>> this point, I'm talkinga bout the organisations), that will make it
>> easier in the long run to always adhere to the PostgreSQL support
>> policy - which covers more than the backports one. If we do have a
>
> Nod.
>
>> proper working and fully supported pg repository there, is there any
>> point to keep postgres in debian backports *at all*? Well, they can be
>> kept there of course, but is there ever any reason to recommend it?
>
> Ideally, the packages would be the same. Completely dropping backports
> will probably not work, as there might be other backports depending on
> something from our packages, and that needs to be there so
> (build-)dependencies work.

Good point.

>> > The missing source packages should be a thing of the past, I only did
>> > that for builds where the only difference to some other version was a
>> > new changelog entry and rebuilding the package.
>> >
>> > For the permanent home, I first like to get it more in shape.
>> > Imho, pgapt.debian.net is fine for the moment.
>>
>> If it's not part of a firm, long-term plan, I'm afraid it isn't.
>> Larger customers need to *know* that things aren't going to change
>> again...
>
> Sure. Let's try to find a plan that will work :)

Yup!

http://www.piware.de/2011/09/dropping-postgresql-9-0-packages-for-debianubuntubackports/

>> Just to be clear - what's actually needed to run that? A simple http
>> server is all, right? And then Some Way (TM) of getting the packages
>> onto it, like rsync or just scp?
>
> Exactly. The repository is driven by reprepro, this could either also
> run on this host, or there could be a different pgapt-master machine
> that hosts the master copy which then gets pushed to the public
> mirror(s).

Ok. That's something we can trivially put up there.

>> (FWIW, the infrastructure currently runs on squeeze, so if debian
>> specifics are necessary, that can certainly be dealt with)
>
> reprepro is heavily using BDB files, I don't think there would be any
> portability problems, but being on Debian is of course even easier.
> (There's probably going to be some "real" database too for the
> autobuild infrastructure, but this could be even another separate
> host.)

Right. And for some strange reason, we have this "postgreeeee" thing
running on our infrastructure boxes, and it seems to run pretty well..
;)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/