Re: Parallel query execution

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel query execution
Date: 2013-01-16 11:52:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

>> > It is for 9.4 and will take months.  I didn't think there was a better
>> > time.  We don't usually discuss features during beta testing.
>>
>> Bruce, there are many, many patches on the queue. How will we ever get
>> to beta testing if we begin open ended discussions on next release?
>>
>> If we can't finish what we've started for 9.3, why talk about 9.4?
>>
>> Yes, its a great topic for discussion, but there are better times.
>
> Like when?  I don't remember a policy of not discussing things now.
> Does anyone else remember this?  Are you saying feature discussion is
> only between commit-fests?  Is this written down anywhere?  I only
> remember beta-time as a time not to discuss features.

We kind of do - when in a CF we should do reviewing of existing
patches, when outside a CF we should do discussions and work on new
features. It's on http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest. It
doesn't specifically say do this and don't do htat, but it says focus
on review and discussing things that will happen that far ahead is
definitely not focusing on review.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/