"unexpected EOF" messages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "unexpected EOF" messages
Date: 2012-05-03 12:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I had a request from a customer asking if we could make a switch to
specifically disable the "unexpected EOF" message that fills lots of
peoples logs. Along the same way that we have a flag to turn off the
"nonstandard use of string escapes" message that is another culprit
(that's actually a much *worse* problem than just the unexpected EOF).
The unexpected EOF message *does* indicate the client is doing
something stupid, but it's not like it's an *actual problem* in pretty
much every deployment out there...

Would we consider adding such a switch (it should be easy enough to
do), or do we want to push this off to the mythical "let's improve the
logging subsystem" project that might eventually materialize if we're
lucky? Meaning - would people object to such a switch?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2012-05-03 12:31:39