Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-02 17:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 19:13, Kevin Grittner
> Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> For example, you might want to copy the archives to more than one
>> place for safety reasons.
> We've never felt that the way to do that was to put the logic for it
> in the archive script -- we archive to a local directory and set up
> rsync tasks on cron to distribute it.  Otherwise you might not
> archive to one target if the other is down, or might have trouble
> catching up with a target when it comes back from being down.

Archiving it locally will give you a window of lost data if you crash.

The point being - different people have different requirements, which
is one thing our currently solution is very good at catering to - the
downside being lots of work. I don't think dumbing down the system is
a good idea - but shipping an example script probably is.

 Magnus Hagander