Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] error during file seek: Invalid argument

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Satheesan K Nair <support(at)shakthiinnovators(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] error during file seek: Invalid argument
Date: 2011-10-31 11:27:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:03, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 31.10.2011 12:12, Satheesan K Nair wrote:
>> Our Operating System is Windows XP.
>> Should we need to do any changes in any kind of configurations in
>> Windows XP or PostgreSql??
> According to the commit logs, there was a win32-related fix to this on 8.2,
> and some further MinGW-related changes in 8.4.
> Regardless of this issue, I'd suggest that you upgrade to the latest
> version, 9.1.1. 8.1 isn't supported anymore, and 8.2 is just about to reach
> EOL by the end of December
> (

Note that 8.1 was EOL'ed on Windows specifically even earlier than it
was in general.

>> We are trying to restore the data base backup in 8.1 version through 9.1
>> PGAdmin III.
>> PGDump ran through "Fedora Linux 10 (Data Base Server) OS".
>> Is there any other chance to give the above error? I meant something like,
>> 1.pgdump not completed the dumping properly,
>> 2.the Backup file is not saved/copied properly, etc??
> I believe the dump is OK, but restoring it doesn't work on version 8.1 on
> Windows.

A workaround could be to run pg_restore on a 64-bit Unix box, talking
to postgresql server on Windows. That should work around the issue -
since the bug is in pg_dump/pg_restore and not in the backend.

But I second and thid Heikkis recommendation that you need to get off
version 8.1 and onto something more recent as quickly as possible.

 Magnus Hagander