Re: Reporting hba lines

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reporting hba lines
Date: 2012-06-27 14:18:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> BTW, are you sure that auth_failed is only called in cases where
>>> an hba line has already been identified?  Even if true today,
>>> it seems fairly risky to assume that.
>
>> It is true today, but yes, it might be safe to guard against it with
>> something like this?
>
> FWIW, the usual approach for conditionally emitting bits of an ereport
> is more like
>
>        ereport(FATAL,
>                (errcode(errcode_return),
>                 errmsg(errstr, port->user_name),
>                 port->hba ? errdetail_log("Connection matched pg_hba.conf line %d", port->hba->linenumber) : 0));

Hmm. Ok. So it treats a 0/NULL there as a way to ignore it. I tried
something with the NULL inside the errdetail, which obviously failed.

> but that's just a nitpick.  A bigger issue is that I'm not convinced
> that a line number will be tremendously helpful: it's easy to miscount
> lines, and a line number will certainly not be helpful in the frequent

Editors will help you count the lines, no? :-)

> cases where people are modifying the wrong hba file.  Can we show
> the source text of the hba line?

We don't currently keep the full source text around - but we certainly
could do that if we wanted to.

I'm not sure how much it helps - usually, you're going to end up on a
line that's completely irrelevant if you get the wrong hba file (e.g.
a comment or a line that's not even in the file at all due to size).
Maybe we should just include the *name* of the HBA file in the error
message?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/