Re: 9.2 final

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.2 final
Date: 2012-06-12 14:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Let me put it this way: is there a benefit to changing the plan?
>
> The plan is, and always has been, "we'll release when it's ready".
> We generally suppose that a release is ready when the rate of bug
> reports against the beta has dropped off substantially.  It's certainly
> absurd to claim that 9.2 has reached that stage.
>
> Personally I'd very much like to see 9.2 out before the fall, mainly
> because I'd like to get it into Fedora 18 (which would require 9.2.0
> to be out by early September at the latest).  But getting it out in
> June would require abandoning every standard for release quality we've
> ever had.

Yeah, I don't hink that's reasonable at all.

And it doesn't make sense to release in july or at least first half of
august due to vacations. Maybe all of august. Which has us in early
september anyway.

But if we believe we've taken care of all known open issues fairly
soon, getting an RC out rather than a beta before people go on
vacation would probably be a good thing...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/