Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding links to alternate versions of doc pages
Date: 2012-03-30 18:27:52
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 13:09, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2012, at 6:47 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:58, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> Having all the specific-version pages use that to point to the
>>> non-version URL might help.
>>
>> Ah, you mean basically a link on every page going back to /current/?
>>
>> That does bring back the whole problem of filenames/URLs being
>> different between different versions of course..
>
> Yup. It's much the same issue, so it'd be something to try as part
> of the "add links to other versions" exercise. Simpler, as it'd be reasonable
> to add rel="canonical" pointing to the current page only if the versioned
> page has the identical filename.
>
> i.e. /docs/<version>/<static-or-not>/tutorial-start.html would have
> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.postgresql.org/current/static/tutorial-start.html">
> in it's <head> for all versions, including the most recent.

Yeah, it seems to be a much "safer" thing, because it's not actually
shown in the UI, so it's not critical if we miss a page or two.

And yes, we can easily include a check in the page if a page exists
with the exact same name in "current".

> It's sort of lying to the search engine categorizer, but might hint
> it to do what we'd like. Whether it's a good idea or not, I'm not sure.
> It'd be nice to get some hints from someone who understands SEO.

yeah, I think unless we have that, it's all just speculation anyway...
And probably not worth putting too much work into on a pure gamble.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/