Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Nikhil Sontakke <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in ALTER COLUMN SET DATA TYPE ?
Date: 2012-11-02 15:39:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> In the 8.4 branch, the error is coming from here:
>
> regression=# \set VERBOSITY verbose
> regression=# ALTER TABLE test ALTER COLUMN a TYPE numeric;
> ERROR: 42P16: constraint must be added to child tables too
> LOCATION: ATAddCheckConstraint, tablecmds.c:4467
>
> which appears to have been added in commit cd902b331. I think the
> commit Pavan is looking at just moved the logic around.

I also though that for a moment, but the commit that I mentioned did not
move that error message from somewhere else. I also tested by resetting
to commit 1f0363001166ef6a43619846e44cfb9dbe7335ed (previous to the
offending commit) and don't see any error.

But since you're seeing it, may it was taken out by some other older commit
and then added back again. Will look more into it

Thanks,
Pavan