Re: Avoiding repeated snapshot computation

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Avoiding repeated snapshot computation
Date: 2011-11-26 17:32:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> What we can do is when a transaction comes to compute its snapshot, it
>> checks if some other transaction is already computing a snapshot for
>> itself. If so, it just sleeps on the lock. When the other process
>> finishes computing the snapshot, it saves the snapshot is a shared
>> area and wakes up all processes waiting for the snapshot. All those
>> processes then just copy the snapshot from the shared area and they
>> are done. This will not only reduce the total CPU consumption by
>> avoiding repetitive work, but would also reduce the total time for
>> which ProcArrayLock is held in SHARED mode by avoiding pipeline of
>> GetSnapshotData calls. I am currently trying the shared work queue
>> mechanism to implement this, but I am sure we can do it this in some
>> other way too.
>
> I don't quite understand how this is going to work.

I will try, keeping it simple.

> Transaction A
> ends, invaliding the shared snapshot.  Now transactions B, C, and D
> come along wishing to take snapshots.  B begins taking a snapshot, so
> C and D wait (blech!)

Yeah, C and D waits. But thats better than concurrently doing the same
computation.

> for that to be complete.  Then, they start
> copying the snapshot.

And they are holding the ProcArrayLock in shared mode.

> Meanwhile, transaction E ends, invalidating the
> shared snapshot,

E can't end until B, C and D are done with copying the snapshot.

> and then transaction F comes along, wanting to take a
> snapshot.  If F constructs a new shared snapshot, then doesn't that
> overwrite the same memory area C and D were busy copying?  It seems
> like F needs some way to know that C and D are done with the old
> shared snapshot before it starts writing a new one.

Right. And that can easily be achieved by holding shared lock on
ProcArray. The snapshot is invalidated by holding exclusive lock and
set/copied while holding shared lock. I am assuming setting a boolean
(valid/invalid) can safely be done with a shared lock. But I may be
wrong.

>  Furthermore, it's
> hard to understand how this could be a net improvement in the general
> case, because now both B and F are copying everything twice (once to
> the shared area and one to backend-local memory) instead of just once
> (to backend-local memory) and C and D are sleeping (yikes!).

Yes, B and F pay a price of double copy. But I think it can be a net
saving because C and D (and many more hopefully) don't need to
recompute the snapshot again by going over a potentially large
ProcArray. So as I demonstrated in the illustration, the total time
for which ProcArray lock is held will be significantly less with large
number of clients.

>  That
> could maybe be a gain at very high concurrency when spinlock
> contention is eating us alive, but it doesn't seem like a good idea in
> general.  Maybe I'm missing something; did you mean to attach a patch?

I have a patch that I am attaching. It contains some unrelated changes
(don't know why; may be I took a diff with some other branch), but you
will get the idea. This needs improvement though because it just
checks if a valid shared snapshot is available and copies that. If
not, it goes ahead and computes one for itself. We need something more
intelligent to know that a snapshot computation is in progress and we
should wait instead of building our own. This patch had shown 15-20%
improvement on the HP box that we are using for the benchmarks.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee
EnterpriseDB     http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
shared-snapshot-v2.patch application/octet-stream 12.7 KB