Re: BUG #7834: Overflow with limited information provided

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jackie(dot)qq(dot)zhang(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7834: Overflow with limited information provided
Date: 2013-01-30 08:15:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM, <jackie(dot)qq(dot)zhang(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I wonder whether it's possible to print information like "what is the
> limited", "which configuration option is overflowed", etc. These infomation
> is of great help to users like me to fix the problem.

I think the error message gives a hint that the limit is the max value
that can be represented by size_t, which would most likely be 2^32 on
a 32-bit machine and 2^64 on a 64 machine. But I understand that it
might be a good idea to print the numeric value based on the known
value of size_t

The other part about what caused the overflow is a bit tricky because
even if the overflow got detected while adding size information for
some GUC, the real culprit might be something else and it will
difficult to find what caused the overflow. It would be a combination
of settings that will lead to this error. I guess you must be running
a 32-bit machine because causing this error on a 64-bit machine will
take some serious over-setting for a number of parameters.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee