Re: BUG #6167: pg_dump fails on table lock

From: Jesper Engman <jesper(at)engman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6167: pg_dump fails on table lock
Date: 2011-08-18 19:04:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

DDL is not excluded from MVCC, right? This kind of concurrency should
be handled and it's generally managed just fine. I just did a lab test
attempting to drop a table while pg_dump is running on the same db and
it simply waits to drop the table until pg_dump is done. That is the
expected behavior.

There is some discussion about concurrency and DDL changes in:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-02/msg00187.php

But in that case, some specialized backend functions like
pg_get_indexdef is using committed state and that doesn't seem to
occur in this case.

I wonder if there is a small time span between when pg_dump starts and
when all locks have been acquired that may be the problem (if a table
is dropped during that time span). Is there such a small time of
vulnerability?

The database in question does not have a ton of tables like this -
about 10 tables and the tables exists for about 5 min. But this runs
on many databases (more than a thousand). So, if there is a window of
vulnerability (if only small) - chances are we're hitting it.

Excluding tables from the dump is not an option - that will be an
incomplete backup.