postgres block size alignment with filesystem block size

From: Mike Broers <mbroers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres block size alignment with filesystem block size
Date: 2012-06-06 15:54:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello, I am setting up a new postgres production server in a managed
hosting environment.  I dont have much insight into the underlying disk
architecture but the filesystem I have been presented with has a 4k block
size.  Postgres defaults to 8k block size; would it be beneficial to repave
the filesystem at an 8k block size or problematic to leave it at 4k?   I
have seen posts suggesting alignment of the postgres block size and the
file system block size and the raid block size, but wonder if a multiple is
sufficient or if it should match exactly.

Thank you
Mike

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Manoj GovindassamyDate: 2012-06-06 16:16:16